Saturday, August 29, 2009

Celestial ground

In the sixth of an eight hour bus ride, I found the thing I really love about my country.

Night had fallen, and the moonlight filled the sky. I was passing miles and miles of tea gardens when the lights started to attract my eye. The lightning bugs filled the tea gardens like stars in the sky. Their flying and blinking became like a dazzling dance that went on for miles. The crickets and other bugs were so loud and in tune with the lights that for the first ten minutes, I could not separate them in my mind. The symphony of nature - complete with a light show!

It reminded me of CS Lewis' portrayal of creation where Aslan sings on the barren black mass that will become Narnia, and the ground begins to swell and move and take form, all in response to the song of Aslan.

This dance of the fireflies is surely an oft recurring performance, but for that night, Dad let me look and see and fill my eyes with wonder. I've been rather down on the country lately, so He knew I needed that and whatever we need He provides in His own AWESOME way :)