Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Casting Seeds

So I'm a little late updating, but I wanted to wait until I got my new project going so I could tell you about it! The pic to the right is from a sleepover night! We soaked our feet in the tub for pedicures :)

I am teaching health lessons at a local school, and teaching Dad stories at the end. I walked into the class yesterday, and a man introduced me as Miss Eba, here to teach English. He nodded at me, and then left - just left! I only then realised that I would have no other teachers in the room, and that I had no clue how an Asian teacher was supposed to act!! The students were all standing and saying "Good morning Miss Eba", and then staring at me. Finally I told them they could sit down, because I realised they wouldn't sit without me saying so. I felt like my obvious ignorance of how to run their class left me with a group that decided they could get away with anything! They were very talkative, but that's when being an American really helped me out - they really do want to know what I have to say! So I started in on the health lesson, and it's designed to be fun, so they were really liking it. After the health lesson I told the Creation story, and they really liked it. In my second class, I got many really good questions about the origin of evil, who created it, and why the tree would be there! I was amazed that they asked the same questions my friends at home ask about that story! They really wanted to go on to the next story, because they knew what came next and really wanted to talk about it, but I told them they had to wait until Friday. One of the girls told them that I was making them wait for the suspense! They really enjoyed it, and even tricked me into staying for 2 periods with them instead of just one! I really need to learn to listen for that bell!This pic is in one of the training centers - we found a toy and played with the camera. We were waiting on another to show up. People are late very often here, but as I am also a very late person, I love it!



In the first class, when I finished my lesson, I half expected someone to come in and take over again, but then I realised that I was the only teacher for these kids at this time! So we had an American question and answer time, and they wanted to know everything about Michael Jackson :) I didn't have too much to share, but they were filling in plenty! They were also really curious about tornadoes, so I was able to share a lot of stories that could only have come from the Mid West!!


I go back on Friday, and I am very excited. I go two times a week and teach 8th and 9th grade. I'll go for about 6 weeks. After that I might try and find another school. I'm hoping to really get to know these kids and maybe meet some of their families.


I wanted to say a little about the transportation to and from the school. I ride the public bus, which cost about 6 cents, as opposed to the auto that takes 3 dollars one way. On the down side, there is rarely a seat and it takes about an hour! Last night trying to get home wore me out! I waited at the bus stop for 15 minutes, watching bus after bus go by because only one bus from that part of town goes to my part of town. When that bus finally got to us it was full, not only in the seats, but also the standing room in the aisle! I just squished in and hung on to the overhead pole. In the ensuing hour and a half (it was rush hour) about 20 more people got onto the bus and about 4 got off! I never did get a seat, and I ended up getting off one stop early because I thought I was lost. Its very difficult to see out the windows when you are standing on the bus because all you can see is downward at the road, so I can't read the store signs to find out where I am, and I can't look for landmarks! Anyway, by the time I got home I was exhausted and was never more happy to find a cold Coca Cola in my fridge :)

So that's a bit of my life right now - hopefully it made sense and gave you a little picture of South Asia! Please yarp for me as I try to make new relationships with cousins, find a language teacher, and struggle to stay in budget (my parents should have quite a laugh at that one)!

As always, THANK YOU so much for all of your letters, support, and yarper!! It is so very uplifting to get your messages and know that the people back home are lifting me up as I head into the fray!!!!