Sunday, July 19, 2009

this makes it.

Still no pictures, but if you'll stay with me you'll hear a fun story!!

One day I was out on my language walk in my neighborhood, just walking around and talking to as many ladies as possible to practice language, when two little girls flagged me in from the road and invited me to their home. Lately I've been cautioned not to go into peoples home because of some weird stuff going on but Dad told me it was OK and Dad and I had just talked a second earlier, so I went in. As I sat, I met 2 girls ages 11 and 12 and their little brother age 9. Their parents weren't home, so the 12 year old was very adult and asked me if I wanted tea. when I said yes she turned to her sister and gave her some money to go buy things for tea. I was a little embarrassed, but to decline now would be really rude. When the little sister Pinky got back, her older sister Sila went to make tea and left me and Pinky in the room. None of the kids spoke English, so I was talking as much as possible about everything I knew how. Then I came to a story about Dad I had just learned, and felt this was the perfect time to try it out. Pinky listened very attentively, and then she asked if I had a shrine in my house like she did hers. I said no, that I didn't need one because He was in my heart, and then she introduced me to all of her gods. This was all done in their language, and it was very exciting! By this time many more people had come in so we had to stop and do introductions, and then the ladies that had come to visit took over the conversation. I was very excited though. This is the first time I have shared a story with someone over here that didn't already know the story! As I left, the girls made me promise to come back and meet their mom, since I lived so close, and by now I have met their mom! I plan on going over regularly, and I have another story prepared for her when the time comes.

That's all for right now, I'm just doing language study and such this week. I did take an auto, a rickshaw, and a bus all by myself this week! I was in search of food, and I got most of what I needed, and only got ripped off a little! It has been a very independent week because my supervisor is out of town, and it has been very good for me. I've been forced to take initiative and do things on my own - I need to eat, and so I need to go buy food!! I feel much more at home now, and ready to start my service project!!